Open Educational Resources (OER), are free and openly licensed educational materials. They include vetted, scholarly, and multimedia-rich educational resources from a wide array of disciplines that cost nothing other than proper attribution.
Go to the #EmTechWIKI Discover page, select the appropriate module, and then select a tool or resource by choosing Open Educational Resource in the Category field. Then choose option #1 or #2 below.
Option 1: Explore an OER Created by Others
- Find an OER learning object (book, chapter, website, module, etc.) and reflect on what others have done using the specific resource.
- Was it already reviewed or rated? Did you agree with the reviews or rating? How would you use the OER in your life (e.g., school, work, etc.)? Did your discovery prompt you to think of an OER that you might create?
- Add a reflection to your ePortfolio. Include a link to the example you have reviewed.
Option 2: Create OER Content
- Choose a subject area of your choice that you would like to create as OER content. You do not have to design an entire work. Just start small and develop small segments of content. Using the tool that you selected, create your own Open Education Resource, showcasing what you have learned.
- Share your creation through an OER repository. What kind of resource did you create? What type of Creative Commons licensing is applied and why?
- Add a reflection to your ePortfolio and include a copy of the OER resource that you created.
If you are enrolled in the MOOC, remember to return to “Activities and Discussion Prompt” to complete that Module. Here is a link back to #EmTechMOOC in Coursera.