Social media can help you reach beyond the walls of brick and mortar. Social media can enhance engagement, expand participation opportunities, and increase the authenticity of learning experiences. Watch the following video or you may optionally read the transcript. Watch the following video or you may optionally read the transcript.
- Go to #EmTechWIKI Discover page and select a 21st century skill.
- Select an Objective that you would like to achieve.
- Choose Social Media from the Category menu.
- Select a tool or resource you would like to explore.
- Then, choose either option #1 or #2 below.
Option 1: Explore Uses of Social Media
- Find an article (e.g., news, magazine, journal, etc.) that discusses the use or dangers of social media.
- Reflect on what you have discovered.
- How would engaging in social media impact you in your own setting based on what you have found?
- Do you have any existing social media habits that are related to the information you found?
- What are the most significant concerns you have? Do the advantages outweigh these concerns?
- Add a reflection to your ePortfolio about your discoveries.
- Embed the article you found as an artifact in your ePortfolio.
Option 2: Connect with Others via Social Media
- Log in and explore the user interface of your selected tool.
- Set up your user profile. Remember to read and pay close attention to privacy settings (consider your Digital Identity).
- Find others to connect with (e.g., friends, family, colleagues or reach father to follow authorities in your fields of interests).
- Post a message on your selected platform.
- Reflect on your existing social media habits and how this tool might impact your life (e.g., school, work, etc.).
- What are advantages and disadvantages to participating and engaging in conversations happening on social media?
- Add a reflection about your experiences to your ePortfolio.
- Take a screenshot of the message you posted to social media. Embed the screenshot into your ePortfolio. If you prefer to keep your personal information private, you may use graphic editing software to blur out this information.
If you are enrolled in the MOOC, return to the #EmTechMOOC Coursera Discussion Forum to complete the Module you are working on.